15 Best Foods for Runner's
Author: fitgirltraining posted in Uncategorised
on 2013-05-29 05:13:18
Analyzing sport-specific eating, a recent article outlining "The Best Foods For Runner's" was written by Liz Applegate, Ph.D.
- Almonds: A handful 3-5 times per week
- Eggs: 10% daily protein and is the "most complete food protein short of breast milk"
- Sweet Potatoes: 25% of DV vitamin A and a good source of vitamin C, potassium, trace minerals manganese and copper
- Whole Grain Cereal with Protein: Look for varieties with at least 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein (try Kashi GoLean)
- Oranges: 100% (plus) of vitamin C and may help alleviate muscle soreness
- Canned Black Beans: 1 cup contains 30% DV protein and almost 60% fiber and folate
- Mixed Salad Greens: More colorful varieties (such as radicchio, butter leaf, curly endive, and mache)
- Salmon: Essential fats and omega 3's
- 100% Whole Grain Bread: 100% whole grain bread easily meets DV requirements (try barley, buckwheat, bulger, rye, and oat)
- (Frozen) Stir Fry Vegetables: Containing red and yellow peppers, onions, bok choy, and soybeans
- Whole Grain Pasta: Try Barilla Plus
- Chicken: 50-75% more protein is needed by runner's to rebuild muscle and promote recovery
- Mixed Berries: Powerful antioxidants that may help reduce occurrence of Alzheimer's disease and Cancer
- Dark Chocolate: Healthy flavonols and antioxidants - the darker the chocolate, the better it is for YOU!
- Low Fat Yogurt: Contains protein, calcium, and live cultures for digestion function
This is a great list for sports that demand quick energy and endurance like soccer, tennis, and boxing. Checkout the article (link above) for recipes and tips.